If you are ill whilst abroad and have booked a package holiday then you are protected by the Package Travel Regulations 1992.
One common holiday illness is food poisoning with nasty symptoms such as stomach cramps, headache, vomiting and diarrhoea.
If you contract food poisoning during your holiday due to poor food or hygiene standards in your hotel then you may be entitled to compensation.
If you think you may have contracted food poisoning at your hotel you should:
- seek medical attention immediately
- keep any receipts from the medical charges and medication
- Keep a diary of your sickness
- report any illness to hotel staff
- report the illness to your holiday representative, make sure that there is a written report and ask for a copy
- speak to other guests affected and take names and addresses
- Take photographic evidence of any unhygienic practices
Food poisoning can be serious and have long term effects therefore it is important that when you return to the UK you seek independent legal advice before contacting your tour operator. Tour operators commonly offer vouchers to use against another holiday or small amounts of compensation.
Speak to an expert food poisoning on holiday solicitor
At Your Holiday claims we will pursue your tour operator on your behalf, and ensure that you are adequately compensated.
Call our helpline on 0330 100 2851 to speak directly to a holiday illness claims specialist.
Alternatively, if you wish to request a call back, simply complete the online contact form on our website and will be in touch with you as soon as possible.
For more information on how our expert holiday illness solicitors can help you make a claim for food poisoning abroad, please visit our food poisoning on holiday claims page.