Swimming pools are an integral part of a package holiday and children often love nothing more than splashing around.
However, whilst it can be tempting to let your guard down abroad, every year British holidaymakers are injured in swimming pool accidents. Some accidents can lead to serious injuries and even death.
Below, the YHC travel law experts outline their top tips for staying safe poolside and explain how they can help should you or a loved one suffer a swimming pool injury abroad.
If youd prefer to speak with a member of our specialist litigation team direct, call 0330 100 2851 for instant advice.
Swimming pool safety
Even before stepping foot into the pool, it is important to make a few preliminary checks such as:
- Always beware of slippery surfaces around the pool area.
- If you have eaten food or consumed alcohol, refrain from swimming immediately afterwards.
- Always check the cleanliness of the water.Â If it is cloudy there may be a hygiene issue that could cause you to become ill.
- Refrain from entering the pool during cleaning when chemicals are used
- Always look for sign posts stating the depth before entering the pool.
The bottom of the pool should be visible at all times and outlets in the pool covered with grating.
If you have any concerns relating to the pool report these to your tour operator representative and the hotel management.
Children and swimming pools
Children require close attention around a swimming pool and should never be left unattended. Check whether there are lifeguard or pool attendants based around the pool and exercise caution around any slopes, ledges and changes in depths that could cause a fall for little feet.
If a swimming pool accident occurs
Despite all precautions, accidents in swimming pools abroad can and do happen.
If the incident occurred through no fault of your own and was within the last three years, you may be eligible to make a claim for holiday accident compensation.
In order to support your case, you should:
- seek medical attention
- Keep all medical notes and receipts for any treatment you receive
- take photographs, videos and the contact details of fellow holidaymakers who witnessed the event
How YourHolidayClaims can help you
The dedicated accident abroad solicitors at YHC have over 50 years experience in successfully settling holiday claims.
Our expert team will handle all the legal aspects of you case so that you can concentrate upon recovery.
To discuss the details of your claim with a travel law solicitor, call 0330 100 2851.
Or, if youd rather that we call you, you can submit your contact details online.