Wherever you holiday, whether it is here in the UK or abroad, you need to be aware of the dangers surrounding you.
Serious injuries, illness and deaths can be caused by swimming pools on holiday.
Here is a list of safety rules to aid you:
- Always check the cleanliness of the water. If it is cloudy there may be a hygiene issue.
- During cleaning when chemicals are used refrain from entering the pool.
- Ensure the bottom of the pool is visible at all times.
- In the children’s section check to see if there is a barrier dividing deep water from the main pool.
- Observe for sudden depth changes such as steep slopes and ledges.
- Always look for sign posts stating the depth before entering the pool.
- These markings and signs are essential in alerting swimmers to deep water and to warn divers about shallow water.
- Children’s pools must be supervised at all times. All lifeguards should be adequately trained.
- Check whether there are lifeguards or pool attendants based around the pool.
- Do not leave children in the pool unattended.
- When diving, ensure that depths of the pool are suitable.
- Always beware of slippery surfaces around the pool area.
- If you have eaten food or consumed alcohol, refrain from swimming immediately afterwards.
- Check non swimmers are wearing arm bands.
- Outlets in the pool should be covered with grating. Take care as the suction can sometimes be strong enough to trap hair.
- If you have any concerns relating to the pool report these to your tour operator representative and the hotel management.
- In the event of illness or an accident take photographs or videos as these may support your claim.
- Take details from fellow holidaymakers who witnessed the event or also suffered injury or illness as, again, this may support your claim.
Contact us to enquire about making a claim today
For a free no obligation chat and to find out how much your holiday accident compensation claim may be worth, contact us on 0330 100 2851 or if you would like to arrange a call back, simply complete the online contact form and we will be in touch with you as soon as possible.