We have been contacted by a holidaymaker who has asked us to represent her after she fell ill with food poisoning at the Stella Makadi Beach Hotel in Egypt.
The hotel was booked through Thomas Cook and upon her arrival, other holidaymakers made her aware that a lot of people in the hotel were suffering symptoms of gastric illness.
The Thomas Cook representative was made aware of our client´s illness only to blame her symptoms on a ´change of lifestyle.´
Another holidaymaker who also stayed at the Stella Makadi Hotel in August 2013 complained on TripAdvisor: “The food is awful and British guests are not catered for at all. I understand you go to Egypt you expect to get a bit of a tummy bug but for one whole week we were there and couldn’t leave the room. We saw staff not cleaning glasses or cutlery properly.”
Anne Thomson, Head of Travel Law at YourHolidayClaims said: “Levels of hygiene at this hotel appear shockingly bad and we have been told many other people were suffering illness. There is no excuse for not washing glasses or cutlery properly and holidaymakers should never be exposed to food poisoning.
“Anyone who has become ill at the Stella Makadi Hotel should contact us as soon as possible to discuss compensation. We can give free legal advice and also explain to clients how much their claim may be worth.”
Contact our Holiday Illness Claims Department
If you have been ill whilst on holiday at the Stella Makadi Beach Hotel in Egypt, we will help you to make a successful claim for compensation, including compensation for any financial loss or out of pocket expenses you have incurred too.
For free legal advice and to find out how we can help you to make a successful claim, call us now on 0330 100 2851.